Starting from the Christmas to the New Year Eve, people get to eat everything they want and that too until their heart is content. On the Eve, most of the Southerners eat Black Eyed peas as they symbolize luck according to them. From the ancient times of Civil War itself, this tradition of eating black eyed peas has been in use and people blissfully eat them believing that they would bring good luck. Black Eyes peas can be served in various ways and the recipes table will be overflowed if we try them out all. Today we will be sharing with you some of the best Black Eyed Peas New Years Recipes that you can try on the Eve.
Black Eyed Peas New Years Recipe
When we consider particular kind of food item, there will be tons of recipes to try with it. Because there is no general guide that says that this item should be cooked in this particular way alone. It is up to the knowledge and interest of the chef to cook it in a unique way. The same goes with the black eyed peas as well. If you are bored of eating the age-old recipes of cooking black eyed peas and want to experiment with new recipes then we are here with them all for you. You can experiment with these recipes and enjoy an all-new recipe. Check out the New Year’s Black Eyed Peas Recipe here.
Recipe 1: Traditional Black Eyed Peas Recipe
- 2 cups of dried black eyed peas
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 cartons Chicken broth
- Water as required
- 1 Diced tomatoes
- 5 pepperoncini
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 Ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the black eyed peas into a container and pour enough water into them. Soak them overnight and after that drain and keep them aside.
- Take a cooking pot and put it on medium flame. Add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook them until brown.
- Now put the chicken broth and water (approximately 8 cups) into it. Let it boil for a while and then add soaked black-eyed peas, ham hocks, tomatoes, pepperoncini, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper to it.
- Cover with lid and cook until the peas are tender for about 3 hours.
That’s it! Easy and tasty black eyed peas recipe for the new year is ready.
Recipe 2: Black Eyes Peas With Bread Toast
With almost same ingredients you can try out another Best Black Eyed Peas New Years Recipe. This recipe includes bread toast and it will be mouth watering for sure. So have a look at the recipe.
- Take a large casserole and add 2 tbsp of olive oil to it.
- Add onion, carrot and crushed garlic to it.
- Cook over medium flame until soft.
- Add over night soaked and drained black eyed peas, ham hocks, and chicken stock and bay leaf.
- Bring them to boil and lower the heat.
- Cover with lid and cook until the beans are tender for about 1 ½ hours.
- Add pepper and salt per taste and cook for another 30 minutes.
- On the other hand, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toast the bread slices in the oven until golden.
- Add little olive oil and also add garlic clove for taste.
- Now take the black-eyed peas dish, remove bay leaves and ham hocks.
- Serve black eyed peas with garlic toasts and cheese for a finger-licking experience.
Recipe 3: Black eyed peas with collard greens recipe
- Black eyed peas 1 pound
- Bacon slices 4 to 5
- Smoked sausage or turkey
- Large onion – 1
- Stalk celery – 1
- Minced garlic – 2 to 3 tbsp
- 1 Jalapenos
- Thyme – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf
- Creole seasoning – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Chicken broth – 7 to 8 cups
- Collard greens – 2 cups
- Salt and paper to taste
- Rinse and keep aside overnight soaked black eyes peas.
- Take a big pot or pan and add olive oil to it.
- Add finely chopped bacon, sausage and sauté until soft.
- Take them aside and now add onions, garlic, jalapenos, thyme and bay leaf to it.
- Sauté for few minutes and add chicken broth to it.
- Add the beans, creole seasoning and salt to taste to the pot.
- Give it a good mix and bring it to a boil.
- Now reduce the flame to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add collard greens, bacon and sausage to the pot and cook for some more time.
- Add water if required and stir occasionally until the beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and add pepper, creole seasoning and salt as required.
That’s it! Another tasty recipe of black eyed beans is ready and can be served with cooked rice. All these Black Eyed Peas New Years recipes are quite nutritious and you can absolutely give them a try on the New Year Eve, not just as a tradition, but also as a healthy dish. For more recipes and other New Year related content, bookmark our website – NEWYEARWIKI.COM and stay tuned.